Xylitol Can Be Fatal

Every time I lose a dog, they take a piece of my heart with them.  I’m sure it’s theKate same for everyone when they lose a beloved pet, but don’t let poison be the culprit.  There are many things that are fatal for dogs, but xylitol is one of the worst.  Xylitol is a sweetener that is used in many human products and is toxic to dogs, even more so than chocolate.  Check out this article at Preventive Vet that will tell you what products carry this chemical.  It’s surprising how many children’s remedies that we could safely use on our pets (liquid Benedryl), contain xylitol and therefore make them useless.  Be sure to consult your vet if you have questions and please, always read labels.  If you do suspect a poisoning incident, call your vet immediately as they may want you to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide before bringing your pet in to be checked out.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s